Baby Story Time at Blue Bell is a story time session geared specifically toward babies (ages 6 months to 23 months). We'll read stories, sing songs, chant rhymes, and play with baby! Baby Story Time is also an event for parents and caregivers to learn about early literacy skills to help prepare baby for reading as well as to help foster a love of reading.
What We Read
- Underground by Denise Fleming.
- Brightly colored and illustrated work that follows a robin and a family planting a tree.
- Trucks by Debbie Powell
- Whir! Brr! What are those construction vehicles doing?
- Dig it, dump it, push it! by Holly Karapetkova
- Construction vehicles at work!
- Sang "Heads, Shoulders, Knees, & Toes" and pointed to the body part
- Recited the bouncing rhyme "Bouncing up and down in my little red wagon..." while bouncing baby faster and faster
- Recited a peek-a-boo rhyme: "Where is Baby?"
- Sang my favorite opening and closing songs: "If You'd Like to Hear a Story" and "The More We Read Together"
- Print Awareness – This includes how to handle a book and read a book. For a Baby, a book is something to test out like a toy. Reading to a child from the beginning is very important. You don’t have to finish the book right away. If Baby gets uncomfortable, just put the book down and pick up again later. Also, help the child explore the book. They may turn pages (board books are perfect for Babies).
Example: This summer we’ll have a summer reading club. Babies are allowed to participate in this as well! You can count what you read to baby toward the goal. Keep track of the books you finish reading, even if it takes two sittings. Every little bit helps.