Baby Story Time at Blue Bell is a story time session geared specifically toward babies (ages 6 months to 23 months). We'll read stories, sing songs, chant rhymes, and play with baby! Baby Story Time is also an event for parents and caregivers to learn about early literacy skills to help prepare baby for reading as well as to help foster a love of reading.
What We Read
- Go Baby Go! by Marilyn Janovitz. - JJ BOARD JAN
- When Baby wakes up, Cat and Dog are there to join in Baby's adventures outside!
- Llama Llama Zippity-Zoom by Anna Dewdney. - JJ BOARD DEW
- Llama Llama and friend play and move outside. Zoom!
- The Babies On the Bus by Karen Katz. - JJ KAT
- The familiar tune gets a different spin in this tale of babies riding the bus to school.
- Sang "Heads, Shoulders, Knees, & Toes" and pointed to the body part
- Performed Actions to the book The Babies on the Bus
- Sang my favorite opening and closing songs: "If You'd Like to Hear a Story" and "The More We Read Together."
- Background Knowledge/Narrative Skills – The more Baby knows, the more Baby grows. This is more about putting things into place for Baby when s/he learns to read. As Baby interacts with the world, help introduce items by explaining what they are, but also encouraging play and exploration. The more background knowledge of the world baby gets, the easier it will be for him/her to understand the world.
- How to support: Play! Talk about how Baby is playing. “You are rolling the ball!” Tell mini-stories that describe what baby is doing. “We are riding in the car, going to story time.” As Baby gets ready for sleep, tell or read stories, maybe even your own. When Baby starts babbling, start asking questions and have them help tell stories when they talk.