Baby Story Time at Blue Bell is a story time session geared specifically toward babies (ages 6 months to 23 months). We'll read stories, sing songs, chant rhymes, and play with baby! Baby Story Time is also an event for parents and caregivers to learn about early literacy skills to help prepare baby for reading as well as to help foster a love of reading.
What Was Read
- You and Me, Baby / concept and words by Lynn Reiser ; photographs by Penny Gentieu.: - JJ REI
- With repetitive words, this book goes through normal activities that a baby does with his or her caregiver.
- Peekaboo Baby / Sebastien Braun.:- JJ BOARD BRA
- Under familiar objects, someone is hiding. Who could it be?
- Oops! / David Shannon.:- JJ BOARD SHA
- Diaper David is learning words! Here are his first words throughout the day.
- Sang my favorite opening and closing songs: "If You'd Like to Hear a Story" and "The More We Read Together."
- Sang a song to the tune of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat," but changed the words to highlight an activity such as clapping, waving, patting knees, and hugging. Many of today's babies enjoyed this one!
- Sang "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" as we pointed to each part.
- Recited a bounce rhyme about "Popcorn!" where gently wiggled baby and lifted up on each pop!
- Background knowledge is all about helping to build knowledge and build a firm foundation upon which all information is organized. The more experiences, the more knowledge babies will gain. In a little while, I’ll tell you how talking to a baby can help build that background knowledge.
- Talk! Talk! Talk! Talk to your baby. Narrate the day or talk about what is going on or think out loud as you make a meal and they watch. Use “I feel,” “I hear,” as jumping off points to introduce new words and reinforce old ones. Talk in specifics in an attempt to identify things. Baby doesn’t always know that “it” means the chair or phone.