Tuesday's snow was the perfect backdrop to our Baby Story Time today! We read books and recited rhymes about winter and snow! It is perfect to be able to go out from story time and talk about the snow that was in our books today.
Baby Story Time at Blue Bell is a story time session geared specifically toward babies (ages 6 months to 18 months). We'll read stories, sing songs, chant rhymes, and play with baby! Baby Story Time is also an event for parents and caregivers to learn about early literacy skills to help prepare baby for reading as well as to help foster a love of reading. Our next session is January 9, 2014 at 10:15 AM. Drop in to check out how it works and you can sign up to be reminded of future sessions.
What Was Read
- Three Little Kittens Illustrated by Paul Galdone.:- JJ GAL
- This traditional rhyme in book form is a fun one to read to baby or toddlers.
- Welcome Winter by Jill Ackerman ; illustrated by Nancy Davis.:- JJ BOARD ACK
- This little book talks about what happens in winter with interactive parts.
- Winter by Chris L. Demarest.: - (request)
- Another little board book that introduces winter with two word phrases.
- Sang my favorite opening and closing songs: "If You'd Like to Hear a Story" and "The More We Read Together."
- Sang "Heads, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes."
- Recited a rhyme about "Five Little Snowmen."
- Recited the bounce rhyme "I bounce you here, there, everywhere." (Source)
- Phonological awareness is the ability to hear the rhythm of language and the smaller sounds within words. This ability is helpful to our babies when they start talking and reading. Researchers have found that it "helps children sound out words when they learn to read."
- The Holiday season is here and a great way to work on phonological awareness is to sing! Sing to baby any time of the year and make up songs or adapt.