There is one more session of Baby Story Time on December 12 at 10:10 AM! Drop in to see what it is about.
Baby Story Time at Blue Bell is a story time session geared specifically toward babies (ages 6 months to 18 months). We'll read stories, sing songs, chant rhymes, and play with baby! Baby Story Time is also an event for parents and caregivers to learn about early literacy skills to help prepare baby for reading as well as to help foster a love of reading.
What Was Read
- Ten Tiny Babies by Karen Katz.:- (Request)
- Readers start with one baby and we count up to ten!
- Counting Kisses: by Karen Katz - JJ KAT
- Time for fussy baby to go to bed! Let's count down our kisses.
- Butterfly Colors and Counting by Jerry Pallotta ; illustrated by Shennen Bersani.:- JJ BOARD PAL
- Simple words and text show us 10 different types of butterflies and their colors.
- Sang my favorite opening and closing songs: "If You'd Like to Hear a Story" and "The More We Read Together."
- Recited a rhyme that started with: "Two Little Eyes to Look Around."
- Recited "Two Little Black Birds" (Traditional)
Two little blackbirds (touch shoulders or hold out fingers)Sitting on a hill.One named JackOne named Jill.Fly away Jack. (Send hand away)Fly away Jill. (Send hand away)Come back Jack. (Return hand)Come back Jill. (Return hand)
- Recited the bounce rhyme "I bounce you here, there, everywhere." (Source)
- In the beginning I talked about print awareness in regards to books. Today, print awareness is about recognizing symbols. Just like pointing out a word in a book, pointing out how many on a page and the number symbol can help build recognition for a baby. We’re not teaching them to learn numbers, just introducing it.
Talk and play help with the awareness of symbols! If you point to one and say “one” or point to a “one,” baby will see that. Counting is an opportunity to bring in all of the activities from writing in the sand, to point to a block with a number, to talking about how many of something there is.