Baby Story Time at Blue Bell is a story time session geared specifically toward babies (ages 6 months to 18 months). We'll read stories, sing songs, chant rhymes, and play with baby! Baby Story Time is also an event for parents and caregivers to learn about early literacy skills to help prepare baby for reading as well as to help foster a love of reading. We meet Thursdays, at 10:15 AM.
Our theme was: FOOD.
What was Read
- Where Is Baby's Yummy Tummy? : a Karen Katz lift-the-flap book by Karen Katz.:- JJ BOARD KAT
- A lift-the-flap book about baby's body parts!
- My Teeth / [photographers, Richard and Michele Steckel ; Milestones Project].:- JJ BOARD MY
- A counting book showing a baby's teeth. This was one the babies loved.
- Yummy Yucky by Leslie Patricelli. - JJ BOARD PAT (at our Ambler Branch)
- One type of food is yummy. Another type is not.
- Dog Food by Saxton Freymann & Joost Elffers. - JJ BOARD FRY
- Don't play with your food! Well, here's an exception as common dog phrases are given a different illustration in food!
- Sang my favorite opening and closing songs: "If You'd Like to Hear a Story" and "The More We Read Together."
- Recited "Pat-a-cake, Pat-a-Cake, Baker's Man" with motions.
- Recited "This Little Cow." (various sources. A twist on the traditional "This Little Piggy." Start with the thumb or littlest toe.)
- This little cow eats grassThis little cow eats hayThis little cow drinks waterThis little cow runs awayAnd this big cow does nothingBut lie around all day!
- Sang "The Muffin Man" while bouncing. Our babies sure love bouncing rhymes.
Early Literacy Tip
- Food provides a great opportunity to continue discussing vocabulary with baby. You can say what he or she is eating, or at the grocery store, use examples in the store. "Do we need a kiwi? Feel this kiwi. How about a can of soup?" Play with food. Discuss how it smells, tastes, feels.